Chatsworth House

chatsworth_8Just outside the Hope Valley, close to the village of Baslow, Chatsworth House is arguably Derbyshire's finest stately home.  Owned by the Duke of Devonshire, Chatsworth House has been owned by the Cavendish family since Bess of Hardwick - who was also at different points mistress of Bolsover Castle and Hardwick Hall (more glass than wall) - persuaded her third husband, George Talbot, 6th Earl of Shrewsbury, to relocate to her native county in 1549 and begin the building of the house that we see today.

Mary Queen of Scots was sometimes at Chatsworth House as the 'guest' of the 6th Earl , and would work with Bess on the Oxburgh Hangings, which are now retained by the Victoria and Albert Museum.

chatsworth_6Chatsworth has beautiful gardens, a farmyard, an adventure playground, gift shops and restaurants, plus over 1000 acres of land on which roam sheep and deer. The visitors' route through the house includes magnificent displays, galleries and a delightful stone courtyard.

In addition to the main house, there are several buildings in the grounds, including greenhouses, a stable block, Elizabethan buildings the Hunting Tower and Queen Mary's Bower, and the 17th Century Flora's Temple.   One of the main features at Chatsworth is the beautiful stone bridge.

Opening Times

House - 11am - 530pm (last admission 430pm)

Garden - 11am-6pm (last admission 5pm)

Farmyard & Adventure Playground - 1030am - 530pm (last admission 430pm)

Garden open 1030am-6pm Jun - Oct