Navio (also called Anavio) was first built around AD73 but later abandoned.  In around AD153, the fort was rebuilt and became home to around 500 soldiers.  According to a stone found during a dig in 1903, the fort was manned by the 1st Cohort of Aquintanians, from South-West France

Photograph with thanks to

The fort at Brough, or 'Brough-on-Noe' as it was known, was a small rectangular structure, of which nothing remains visible save for some uneaven earth, a few scattered stones and a single stone built cellar in the area where the main building, or 'praetorium' was likely to have been.  This is an artist's impression of how Navio may have looked.
Romans were stationed here to police the vital lead mines in the area. Here is an illustration of the fort layout, pieced together from various archaeological digs.
The site was occupied continually for some 350 years, being ideally situated on the Roman roads between Buxton (Aqua Arnemetiae) and Templeborough and between Chesterfield (Caester feld) and Glossop (Melandra) 
A roman altar stone was unearthed in a nearby farm in 1980, similar to this one, above, (which was unearthed at Watercrook Roman Fort.)  It tells us that the Prefect in charge of Navio was named Proculus and that he restored a temple on the site
Nearby Bradwell is likely to be a Vicus, or civillian settlement, that so often lay alongside Roman forts, where the local people lived, mixed and traded with the Roman soldiers. 
 In the 19th century there were three cotton mills at Brough, as well as the corn mill, pictured above, which was granted to Phillip de Strelley by King John on condition that de Strelly would provide a valet for the King when he visited the Forest of the Peak, as the area was known at the time.
Cotton Mills gave way to leadworks, and several flues can still be seen today alongside many of the paths taken by ramblers.