Eyam

P6220044 ..... mompessons_well2 ..... P6220037
Mentioned in the Domesday Book as Aiune, Eyam is famous as The Plague Village.  In 1665, the plague was brought to Eyam in a parcel.  Many people fled, but those who stayed placed themselves in quarantine in order to save the people of the surrounding villages. Mompesson's Well.  People from the nearby villages would bring food and supplies to the edge of Eyam. The villagers would pay for these goods by leaving coins here, immersed in vinegar. The parish church is the final resting place of many plague victims, including the vicar William Mompesson's wife, Catherine.
P6220038 cucklet_delf P6220033
Catherine Mompesson's Tomb.  The vicar's wife stayed in the village to tend to the sick, falling victim to the plague herself, she died on 25th August 1666.  During the plague the vicar closed the church and services were held here at Cucklet Delf. A remembrance service is held on the last Sunday of August, to honour the courage and the sacrifice of the villagers The Plague Cottages.  The Plague claimed its first victims from these homes.
        plague_window  the_plague_book P6220040
The Plague Window in the church, telling the story of the plague in the village. read more The Plague Book. A record of the people lost during the 18 months of the Plague. An 8th Century Saxon cross stands in the churchyard
eyam_village_stocks townhead_factory P6220046
Eyam Village Stocks lie on the village green, opposite 17th Century Eyam Hall. Originally Townhead factory, a silk mill built in1735.  Silk weaving, shoe making, lead mining and limestone quarrying were the major industries in the area. The track out of Eyam that leads to Mompesson's Well and the Riley Graves.
P6220032 P6220025 P6220045
Eyam Hall, home of the Wright family, is open in the summer.  Read More The poet Richard Furness was born here in 1791 and 18th century poet Anna Seward (the swan of Lichfield) was born in the nearby rectory. The Miner's Arms.  This was the meeting place of the Barmote Court, which was set up to deal with lead mining disputes.  According to local folklaw, the Miner's Arms is haunted.
rileygraves riley_graves_sign e_museum_resized
The Riley Graves. One of the saddest stories from the Plague Village.  In the space of only 8 days, the Plague took Elizabeth Hancock's entire family from her.  She buried her husband and their six children here, in Riley's Field on the outskirts of Eyam. The plaque at the Riley Graves reads
"Sacred to the memory of the Hancock Family. Victims of the Plague.
August 3rd - 10th 1666
Visitors are requested to treat this burial place with reverence.
Eyam museum contains a comprehensive and extremely moving history of the 18month period during which the plague decimated the village.  Many of the items on display have been kindly donated by the villagers. Read more.