Grindleford

mainroad1_resized grindy1_resized grindy8_resized
Grindleford main street.  The village did not exist until 1987, when it was created out of the hamlets of Eyam Woodlands, Nether Padley, Stoke and Upper Padley.
Grindleford lies along a route that was once known as a 'saltway'.  Packhorse drivers carrying loads of salt and other goods would find the easiest routes through this difficult landscape.
The Toll Bar Cottage. All travelling the saltway would have no choice but to pass over the bridge.  Their fee was paid here.
grindy5_resized grindy4_resized bridge4_resized
Grindleford Train Station, at Nether Padley - the top end of Grindleford.  This charming little building houses a cafe with seating both inside and out. The line through the Hope Valley brought day trippers and wealth to the Valley. The Totley Tunnel. Just under 4 miles long, it is Britain's second largest inland tunnel.  The railway line through the Hope Valley brought prosperity to the area as people could now live in the beauty of the valley and commute to their jobs in the cities. Grindleford Bridge.  This bridge over the river Derwent and the road above it were known as Grundelford (Derbyshire Charter 1248), Gryndilford and Gryndelford Bridge (Assize Rolls 1359)

grindy13_resized

grindy9_resized

stoke_hall_2_resized
Upper Padley is the site of Padley Hall.  Only the foundations of the main Hall exist today, but the chapel has been lovingly restored and is only a short walk past the train station. Every year, on the Sunday closest to July 12th, Catholics make a pilgrimage to Padley Chapel, in memory of 2 priests who became known as the Padley Martyrs.  read more Stoke Hall, at the edge of what is now Grindleford, was built in 1757.  Like a great number of stately homes in the area, Stoke Hall passed through the hands of Bess of Hardwick.

grindy_road_resized

cricket_pitch_resized

court_resized
The delightful road joining Grindleford and Hathersage.  Halfway along this road is Fallcliffe Cottage, an isolated little building now a private mountaineering club, given up by the signalmen of Hathersage station. The cricket pitch. Grindleford Cricket Club play here on Saturdays in the Yorkshire & Derbyshire League, and midweek in the Longstone League. beyond it is the football pitch which is used by Grindleford Football Club.  Both are also well used by the general public. The multi-use games area, developed by the Grindleford Sport, Youth and Community Group and made possible by funding from the Active England project.

preschool_resized
andrew lawton

park2_resized
The Bishop Pavillion is well used. Cricket and other sports, community events and the local playgroups, for example.  The pavillion is also available for hire, as are the sports areas.  grindleford carnival Grindleford Park.  A well equipped play area in the middle of the village, next to the Bishop Pavillion.  the park has been 'stepped' and the play apparatus are on different levels.  Enjoy the view over Grindleford from the benches at the top of the park.

 

HHS Line